2020 CENSUS PRECINCT BOUNDARY CHANGES
Residents of Franklin County are hereby notified that the Franklin County Temporary Redistricting Commission will hold a Public Hearing on December 20th, 2021, at 11:00AM in the Board of Supervisors Meeting Room in the Franklin County Courthouse, 12 1st Ave. NW, Hampton, Iowa. The purpose of the hearing will be to gather comments on the preliminary proposed precinct plan resulting from the 2020 Census. Members of the public may offer oral or written comments prior to and at the Public Hearing. Members of the public are allowed to present an alternative plan.
Franklin County is a Plan Three County. In Plan Three Counties, the Board of Supervisor is elected by supervisor district and the supervisor must live in the supervisor districts. The supervisors must establish a temporary redistricting commission which will draw precinct boundaries. The Legislative Service Agency will draw supervisor district boundaries.
All precincts in counties in Iowa must meet the following standards:
- Precinct population cannot exceed 3,340
- Precinct must lie within one legislative district
- Composed of contiguous territory
- Follow census block boundaries
- Townships as precincts:
- Each township that does not include any part of a city with a population over 2,000
- The unincorporated portion of any township, containing a city with a population over 2,000
- If townships are divided into more than one precinct, the sections must be reasonably equal in population
- Exclude city annexed territory
Franklin County Proposed Precinct Legal Descriptions:
- No 1 – Geneva/Ingham/East Mott – All of Geneva Township including the City of Geneva, All of Ingham Township including the City of Hansell, and Mott township starting at Quail Ave and proceeding east to the township boundary.
- No 2 – Grant/Osceloa – All of Grant township and all of Osceola township including a portion of the City of Ackley
- No 3 – Hamilton/Reeve – All of Hamilton township and all of Reeve township excluding a small portion of the City of Hampton
- No 8 – Marion – All of Marion township including City of Latimer, but excluding City of Coulter
- No 9 – Oakland/Morgan/Lee – All of Oakland township including City of Popejoy and a portion of City of Dows, all of Morgan township, all of Lee township, and the City of Coulter.
- No 10 – West Mott – Mott township from Quail Ave west to the township boundary
- No 11 – Richland/Ross/West Fork – All of Richland Township, all of Ross township including the City of Sheffield, and all of West Fork township
- No 12 – Wisner/Scott – All of Wisner township and all of Scott township including the City of Alexander
- No 4-7- Hampton Wards as determined by the City of Hampton
Population of each Precinct:
- Geneva/Ingham/East Mott 619
- Grant/Osceola 565
- Hamilton/Reeve 417
- Oakland/Morgan/Lee 826
- Wisner/Scott 472
- Richland/Ross/West Fork 1707
- Marion 733
- West Mott 343
Copies of the legal descriptions of the plans, maps illustration the plans, a summary of the standards prescribed by law for development of the plans and a statement of the population of each precinct are available at the Courthouse, 12 1st Ave. NW, Hampton, Iowa, in the Auditor’s Office and also online under Latest News.