The Passport Office is located in the Recorder's Office of the Franklin County Courthouse.
US Citizens must present a valid passport book when re-entering the United States by air. US Citizens re-entering the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda at land borders and sea ports of entry must present a passport book or passport card.
Exceptions to the passport requirements are US Citizen children under age 16, or those under age 19 traveling with an organized group, arriving by land or sea from contiguous territory, may present a certified birth certificate rather than a passport. For further explanation, contact the Franklin County Recorder's Office at 641-456-5675 or visit www.travel.state.gov.
Passport Applications and Photos
To apply for a passport book or card:
- Complete but don't sign, a passport application, which is available online at the U.S. Department of State Passport website or from the Franklin County Recorder's Office. Applications MUST be signed in person at the Recorder's Office. Black ink is required when filling out the passport application.
- Obtain a certified copy of your birth certificate from the county/state in which you were born. The Franklin County Recorder can issue a certified copy to those born in Franklin County after 1942 and whose parents were married at the time of Franklin County birth.
- Obtain two (2) 2"x2" passport photos. Photos may be taken at the Recorder's Office for a fee of $10.00.
- Show a current photo ID, such as a drivers license or other government issued ID when signing the application at the Recorder's Office.
- Children between the ages 16 and 18 must have written consent from a parent to obtain a passport.
Fees must be paid in two (2) checks.
- Payable to Franklin County Recorder:
- $35.00 (plus $10 if passport photo taken)
- Payable to US Department of State:
- Passport Book - $110.00 OR Passport Card - $30.00 for applicants 16 years and older
- Passport Book - $80.00 OR Passport Card - $15.00 for applicants 15 years and younger
Checks for minors under age 18 must be in the name of the parent/guardian. The passport fees paid at the time of application are non-refundable processing fees.
U.S. Passport Applications for Children Under Age 16
Children under the age of 16 must have both parents' written consent to obtain a passport. Important: All minors must appear in person when applying for a passport.