These services will be delivered at an optimum level maximizing available resources and distributed fairly and efficiently. The Board of Supervisors is the executive and administrative branch of county government. Franklin County elects three members to its board who serve staggered four-year terms.
Official Board meeting are held every Monday, beginning at 8:30am at the Franklin County Courthouse in the basement level. The meetings are open to the public. To be placed on the Board's weekly agenda, contact Katy Flint, Auditor and Clerk to the Board of Supervisors, at 641-456-5622 by 1:00pm on the previous Thursday. Please complete this FORM and return it to the Auditor's office prior to the date mentioned previously. Minutes of the Board meetings are available for public viewing online, in the County Auditor's office in the Courthouse, and are published weekly in the following newspapers:
Current and Archived
Supervisor districts were established on January 15, 2012, based on the population totals from the 2010 Federal Decennial Census. The current Board of Supervisors at that time appointed a Temporary County Redistricting/Reprecincting Commission that redrew the three supervisor districts and voting precincts in Franklin County. This was done to fulfill Iowa Code Section 331.210A(1)(a).
Supervisor District Map
Board of Supervisors Duties
The Board's duties are varied and its authority embraces practically every aspect of County Government. The Board acts as a general business manager for County Government and the following are some of the duties and powers:
- Prepares the County Budget, determines tax requirements needed and levies taxes to raise revenue for expenditures.
- Serves as trustees to drainage districts.
- Appoints and fixes salaries of certain offices, deputies, permanent and temporary help, and fills vacancies in elective county offices, except members of its own body. Vacancies in the Board of Supervisors are filled by appointment made by the County Auditor, County Treasurer and County Recorder.
- Establishes policies and provides adequate funding in order to properly maintain county roads.
- Is responsible for certain social welfare programs for the citizens.
- Performs a variety of duties relating to agriculture and conservation, including participation in flood and erosion control, appointment of a Conservation Board, establishing drainage districts and zoning of County lands.
- Makes official canvass of voters of the County following primary, general and special elections.
- All bills paid by the County must be allowed by the Board of Supervisors before payment can be made by the County.
- Approve Beer, Liquor and Cigarette licenses, sending these results to the Beer & Liquor Control Department in Ankeny, Iowa, for final approval.
The Board members appoint the following department heads, boards, and commission members:
Animal Control Officer
Board of Health Members
Building and Grounds Director
Community Services Director/CPC
Condemnation Commission Members
Compensation Board Members
Conservation Board Members
IT Director (Information Technology)
GIS Technician (Geographic Information Systems)
Planning and Zoning Director
Planning and Zoning Commission Members
Veterans Affairs Director
Veterans Affairs Commission Members
Zoning Board of Adjustment Members
Judicial Magistrate Commission Member
Civil Service Commission Member