The Auditor's Office was actually the result of government reorganization back in 1870. Prior to that the County Judge acted as the auditor. With the formation of the Board of Supervisors in 1861, the duties were passed to the Clerk of Court. It was in the early 1970s that the Iowa State Legislature added the duties of Commissioner of Elections to the office.
The position of the County Auditor is an elected position. This position is elected during the presidential general election for a term of 4 years.
The Auditor's office handles a large variety of County business. Our office is in charge of Real Estate Transfers, Property Tax Valuations, all Accounts Payable for the County, maintaining expenditure records, logging inventory, leading the budget process for the County as well as receiving budgets from cities, schools, townships, and miscellaneous districts within the County. All county Human Resources runs through our office. Additionally, the Board of Supervisors are the trustees for 73 Drainage Districts in the County in which our office keeps the books for, manages Works Orders, and More. Finally, the Auditors office is the Election Hub for the county.
About the Staff
- Auditor - Katy Flint - Katy grew up in Franklin County and graduated from Hampton-Dumont High School. She attended Wartburg College where she majored in American History, World History, and Secondary Education. After teaching for 2 years in Southern Iowa, Katy moved back to Hampton where she has held a variety of jobs. Prior to being elected Auditor, she was the City Clerk for Sheffield for 6 1/2 years. She was originally elected to Auditor in 2021. She is married and has 2 step-sons and a fur baby!
- Deputy Auditor - Amy Holmgaard - Amy is a lifelong resident of Hampton. She is a graduate of Hampton High School and Iowa State University. She has been with the Auditor’s office since 1993.
- Human Resource Director - Audrey Emery - Having lived all her life in Iowa, Audrey began her work as an HR professional by enlisting in the Iowa Army National Guard during her senior year of high school. After returning from basic and advanced training, she attended Luther College before decided to pursue a full-time career with the National Guard which included a deployment to Kuwait for Operation Iraqi Freedom. After serving for ten years, she moved to the civilian workforce as the Human Resource Administrator for National Farmers in Ames. Audrey has currently served as the Franklin County Human Resource Director since May 2019.
- Drainage Clerk - Colette Bruns - Colette is from the Dumont area and graduated from Dumont Community High School & Ellsworth Community College. She has been with the Auditor's office since February of 2020.
- Finance Assistant - Tanya Demro - Tanya graduated from Dike-New Hartford High School. She moved to Hampton in 2014 when her husband got a job as a lineman for Franklin County REC. Together, they have 4 little boys. She attended college at NIACC where she obtained her AA in Accounting. She joined the Auditor's office in April of 2021.
Public Records Request
If you wish to request copies of public records, copies of maps, or other information, please read our Public Records Policy, complete the form below, and return it to the Franklin County Auditor's Office.
Public Records Request Policy for the Auditor's Office
Public Records Request Form