Drainage Districts
Drainage districts were established for drainage of surface waters from agricultural and other lands for the protection of said lands from overflow when said protection is a public benefit or is conducive to public health, convenience, and welfare. (Section 468.2, State Code of Iowa).

Districts are established by the Drainage District Trustees at the request of the land owners within the proposed district (Section 468.6-468.8). 

Generally, under the Code of Iowa, Chapter 468, the County Board of Supervisors act as Drainage District Trustees in all district matters. However, the land owners of a particular district may, if they wish, elect their own trustees and maintain the district themselves. The Trustees are required by the Code of Iowa (Section 468.126) to maintain all drainage districts at their original capacity.

Assessments and Costs

There are more than 100 drainage districts within Franklin County. Assessments or classification of land in a drainage district are based on the benefit that the land receives, or could potentially receive, from being in the district.

Assessments are made as necessary to pay for engineering costs, improvements, and repairs within a given drainage district.  Land owners in the district, not the County, own and pay for all maintenance and repairs to that district. A contractor hired by the trustees will do the work and bill the cost to the district.

Drainage districts are not levied on a regular basis. Drainage districts are levied when district funds drop to zero.  When a district is levied the trustees set the percentage such that a surplus remains after all bills are paid. The district will not be levied again until its funds are depleted which depends on the amount of work required in the district. Some districts are levied frequently while some may go 50 years or more without a levy.

Drainage Maps

 Drainage maps show where property is located within the district watershed area and its relation to the ditches and tiles. 

Requests for repairs, complaints, problems, or questions should be directed to the Drainage Clerk in the Auditor’s Office at 641-456-5622 located in the Franklin County Courthouse at 12 1st Ave NW, Hampton, IA 50441 or email.

You may download a petition for repair, complete the form and then mail to the Auditor's Office. 
Want to request a repair?  Download the form and submit to the Auditor's Office:
Drainage Work Order Request Form

Search Historic Drainage Records

Drainage Maps 

Drainage Meeting Minutes-Completion Reports-Engineer’s Reports

Drainage District Trustees
These districts are managed by the landowners.  If your district is not listed, it is managed by the Board of Supervisors

Drainage District Crossing Permit Application

Drainage Damage Claim Form

Drainage District Tree/Shrub Control Service Contract