It is your legal responsibility to report to the Assessor changes or improvements to your real estate.

441.24 (1) Code of Iowa provides:

If a person refuses to furnish the verified statements required in connection with the assessment of property by the Assessor, or to list the corporation's or person's property, the Director of Revenue and Finance or Assessor, as the case may be, shall proceed to list and assess the property according to the best information obtainable and shall add to the taxable valuation one hundred percent thereof, which valuation and penalty shall be separately shown, and shall constitute the assessment; and if the valuation of the property is changed by a Board of Review or on appeal from a Board of Review, a like penalty shall be added to the valuation thus fixed.

There are many things you should report to your local Assessor like:

  • New buildings
  • Buildings removed, torn down or damaged by fire
  • Remodeling (interior and exterior)
  • Additions to house or buildings
  • Mobile homes
  • Fireplaces
  • Basement or attic finish
  • Decks, patios, and garages

Please contact the Assessor's Office to report any changes to your property or mailing address. Your cooperation will be greatly appreciated.

Change of Address Notification Form

Don't forget to get a building permit:

  • If you live in town, contact your local city hall.
  • If you live outside the city limits, contact the Franklin County Planning & Zoning Administrator, Dan Tilkes, by email, or by calling 641-456-4090.