The Franklin County Veterans Affairs Executive Director Adam Akers is a member of the Iowa County Commissions of Veterans Service Officers and the National Association of County Veteran Service Officers. The Executive Director is Nationally Accredited to handle Veterans' issues. The Executive Director and Commission of Veteran Affairs for Franklin County oversees two comprehensive programs for military veterans that are currently offered:
Veterans Services Programs
The Franklin County Veterans Service Program provides assistance to all veterans, and their dependents, in applying for federal benefits, and other related matters, concerning the federal government. These include:
- Application assistance for
- Compensation for Service-Connected Disability
- VA Health Benefits
- Non-Service Connected Disability Pension
- Aid and Attendance for Nursing Home and Housebound Veterans
- Iowa Veterans Trust Fund Applications
- DIC Benefits
- Certificates of Eligibility for Home Loans
- Appeals of Unfavorable VA Rulings
- Eligibility Verification Reports (EVR)
- Application for Iowa Veterans Home
- Obtaining military records and awards.
- Distributing grave markers and flag holders for Franklin County
- Networking to Veterans Hospitals
- Networking to other Department of Veterans Affairs facilities and agencies.
Veterans Relief Programs
The Franklin County Veterans Relief Program is funded by the County to provide assistance to resident veterans with emergency basic needs. These basic needs include:
- Special Needs
To be eligible for this program, you must meet the following requirements:
- Be a veteran with an honorable discharge.
- Be a resident of Franklin County.
- Meet certain income guidelines.
- Register for work (unless disabled) and participate in promise jobs and JTPA.
- Have emergency basic needs that cannot be met by other means.
Other areas of responsibility:
- G.A.R. Memorial Hall (dedicated to Civil War veterans)
- Veteran Services Links
- Veterans Memorial on the west side of the courthouse.
- If you would like to have your name engraved on the memorial as a Veteran from Franklin County please contact the office at 641.456.5670.
For information on the Veterans Affairs Commission, please see their page.